Introducing Your Child To God Using Apologetics For Kids
Note: This site may earn from qualifying purchases through affiliate links at no extra cost to you.
You know your name the same way you know the grass is green. The same way you know that a rainbow is pretty and that slugs are slimy. You know these things to be true because they have always been true. Since the very beginning, you’ve been taught those things as truth. Introducing your child to God, by establishing biblical truth to your toddler happens in the same way! From the beginning.
Going to church every Sunday morning is an important part of our family vision. We enjoy staying in relationship with other believers. And community worship is satisfying to the soul.
However, if the only time your little one hears about God is on Sunday mornings, God becomes a place instead of an “ever-present help” (Psalm 46:1)
When God is woven through the fibers of our everyday lives our children understand that he’s always there. Praying, singing worship music and reading books about God with your child establish his presence on a daily basis.
My favorite resources for teaching children Godly truth is Answers In Genesis.
I was fortunate enough to hear the answers in Genesis creator Ken Hamm speak at a homeschool conference. My family and I also took a trip to the creation museum (also founded by Ken Hamm) last summer and loved it. Read here to decide if going to the creation museum is right for your family.
Introducing Your Child To God With Apologetics
In a nutshell, apologetics is teaching all of creation, all of life, all of purpose, through every perfect word in scripture. From God speaking life into existence to the day in which we live, apologetics understands that God is sovereign over it all.
When you want your child to know the truth of God as clearly as she knows her name, you raise her with God as much a part of her life as you are. Your child never needed to learn you love her. She simply felt it every moment of her life. Such it is with knowing God.
5 Steps To Introducing Your Child To God
Let’s do a step by step just to keep things practical because I love practical.
#1. From birth, pray with, to, and in front of your child.
- When your little one sees and hears you talking to God as you would a friend, she’ll understand that He WANTS to hear from his beloved children.
- As she gets older, teach her the words to say and how to be both reverent and relaxed in the company of her Creator. Prayer can be intimidating for people who haven’t grown up with it. Don’t hesitate or wait to teach her how and why to pray.
#2. Answer questions with scripture.
- As your child grows she’ll gain an increasing curiosity about the world around her. Answers In Genesis saves the day for you when it comes to questions you don’t have answers to. I’m so grateful that these people have dedicated their lives to theological study, so I can offer an answer to my child that I might have otherwise not have had.
- Sometime you still might not have an answer to every question. That’s alright. You can rest in the confidence that God’s word never returns void. So, even if neither one of you completely “gets it.” God is still sovereign.
#3. Read to your child from apologetics books every day.
- You read to your child regularly, so introducing your child to God by reading apologetics books like this makes perfect sense. Reading out loud is excellent for brain development and bonding. You likely read 4-6 books to your child a day. Circulating 2 kids apologetics books into the mix will establish the truth of God as clearly as the grass is green.
#4. Worship together.
- By worship I mean, turn on some worship music and worship God out loud together. When you pair this with praying together, going to scripture for answers, and reading from apologetics books, your child will feel the joy and comfort that comes from a life of knowing God.
#5. Finally, Be involved in your church.
- I started out by saying that introducing your child to God can’t happen only on Sunday mornings. In addition to all, you are doing on a daily basis to introduce your child to God, being actively involved in your local church helps your child have a sense of belonging.
- Being among other children who are being taught the same thing and whose parents share the same values will benefit her greatly! Don’t miss church!
Apologetics Rescued Me From Fear
Lastly, I want to share a quick sort-of-funny, sort-of-sad story with you. When I was little an adult told me that he was from another planet and that I would someday be taken off to that planet. Ya… it’s kind of funny now. However, as a small child, I wholeheartedly believed this and lived in fear because of it.
As I got older and gave my heart to Christ, I began to learn apologetics. Apologetics is largely responsible for the defeat of all the fears bred in me as a child. You’re doing a great thing for your child by equipping her now to have a heart and a mind full of wisdom and absolute truth! Read how to eliminate your child’s fears here.